Apology & Bloggery Reform

10/14/2010 12:04:00 AM
So I don't know how many of you went to go see the Pachyderm Parade on Tuesday (here), but it looks like an apology is in order because at least two of you showed up and missed the event.  And I feel TERRIBLE.

Here's what happened:

I received the press release for the event the night before, which I used for my blog post.  On the morning of the event, I was sent another email stating that the event had been pushed up by an hour.  Here's the problem:  I can't check Bloggery email while at work.

As a result, I did not get the email until the evening - which obviously was too late to get that info out to all of you.  And at least two of you left comments to let me know that you got screwed by my post.  So, from the bottom of my heart, I'm sorry.

Onto the Bloggery reform.  I'm still not going to be able to check my email while at work, so here's what I'm considering:

1.  Only blog about events that have an accompanying website.  This way, if last minute changes occur, at least you can see them on the event website.

2.  Continue to blog about events with no website, but make sure there's some sort of disclaimer in it about how I won't be able to update you on last minute changes.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Beantown Bloggery

6 Response to "Apology & Bloggery Reform"

1. Chris Said,

Can you tell us how we can get on the press release list for the elephant walks? I always seem to miss them even thought they walk right past where I work.

Posted on 10/14/10, 10:29 AM

2. Sarah G Said,

Possible solution 3: get a smart phone so you can receive those emails during work hours. ;)

Just a tip from someone who also can't access any personal/non-work webmail at the office and finally resorted to getting a smart phone (HTC Droid Eris, fwiw) so I could keep up with personal emails during work hours.

Posted on 10/14/10, 11:40 AM

Hi Chris,

I don't actually subscribe to these press release lists. PR and media people just send me emails all the time. So I'm not sure how you would get on the list. I think they typically just target media outlets rather than individuals.

Posted on 10/15/10, 4:30 PM

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought about that, but couldn't figure out how I would be able to update the blog post or what not even if I did get the email in time.

I considered maybe that i could get a twitter app and do an update there rather than my blog since i can't log on at work. but i think that' not a great solution because not everyone who reads my blog subscribes to my twitter, so some people would still get lost in the mix.

I'm still brainstorming. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted on 10/15/10, 4:33 PM

5. Reid Said,

#2, definitely. While I did miss it, if you hadn't posted, I wouldn't know about it at all. Next year I'll make it. I should have just done a twitter search earlier; the new time was all over there.

Also you said pretty clearly the time was subject to change. The only change I might suggest is to emphasize that it could indeed be significantly earlier. I mean, who does things ahead of schedule? :)

Posted on 10/18/10, 8:10 AM

6. AmandaKrups Said,

People should not blame you if events change. You are providing a service by having a blog and giving out information; it is not your responsibility to take people by the hand for every little thing. Plus, you have a real job, as you said. If people want to go to an event, they can follow up with it themselves. You should not be apologizing; those people who were so rude to you should be apologizing to YOU.

Posted on 10/18/10, 10:21 PM