Gun License Update

10/02/2009 03:25:00 AM
One of my most commented posts of all time was the one I made detailing out the steps I went through to get my gun license in Boston and the requirements that were made. I just got an update from Bloggery Reader Larry that is pretty monumental, and I think it warrants its own post. Here's what he had to say:

Just as an addendum to this article, which I really appreciate you posting - I spoke to the head licensing officer today (Oct. 1, 2009), and you no longer need to be a member of a gun club. He said that he inherited that requirement, and didn't necessarily agree with it, so it has been rescinded. Thought you all might like to know.

My license is good for five years, so It'll be a while before I personally go down to verify this, but if anyone else is on their way to getting an LTC in the Boston area - report back and let us know what you find out.

Now the only other requirement that I personally think they should get rid of is the marksmanship test. How are you supposed to practice for a marksmanship test if you're not able to own a gun? That never made sense to me.

Click (here) to read the original post.

7 Response to "Gun License Update"

Resident LTCs are good for no less than 5 years and no more than 6, and expire on your birthday.

Posted on 10/28/09, 7:49 PM

2. NEIL Said,

Could you tell us the name of this head licensing officer, I went to the BPD headquarters by the Ruggles train station and they still tried to feed me the BS about needing to be a paying member of a gun club. If not the name could you state which department you went to. Thank you!

Posted on 10/31/09, 9:10 AM

I recently obtained my LTC. It is not a requirement to join a sports club, however, it is better to join a club to enjoy the sport and improve your skill at target shooting. The license does expire on birthday of 5th yr. of issue of license.

Posted on 2/15/10, 7:51 PM

4. Laura Said,

Just an FYI, I went to BPD headquarters and there is a large amount of info you need to apply--not that any of it is mentioned on the site. Birth certificate, proof of residency...the guy said I had the wrong application? Not a simple process!

Posted on 3/29/10, 3:47 PM

5. Lee Said,

So does anyone have the most recent requirements for obtaining a Boston LTC? The BPD still has on their form that you have to join a gun club...

Posted on 12/23/11, 7:41 AM

6. oripahsa Said,

You don't have to join gun club to get LTC in Boston. Although, I am waiting for more than 8 weeks after Moon Island Test(scored 286). Still no license. So,forget about 40 days,they claim on website. It seems more like 90.

Posted on 1/13/12, 8:56 PM

Let's be honest, the Boston Police do not want you to have a gun permit. I personally find it ridiculous as we all know most of the guns on the street aren't coming from legal gun owners in Boston. They make it a HUGE pain in the ass. An example of this is how you can't get the application for a gun license anywhere but in Headquarters. Why isn't this available at my local BPD branch and or Online? No good reason for it not to be.

Posted on 10/24/12, 10:22 PM