BonChon Chicken at Privus Lounge

12/10/2008 12:01:00 AM
I love food. I love going out to eat. That's probably why I haven't been successful at losing any weight despite going to the gym. This new discovery is going to hurt my chances even more - BonChon Chicken. BonChon is a Korean fried chicken franchise that from what I can gather is now being licensed by Privus Lounge in Allston. They just started serving the chicken there a week and a half ago (and I've been there twice already, my roomate three times).

We get the wings (not the drumsticks). This way we maximize the crispy/delicious coating surface area per piece of chicken. The chicken comes in two flavors: soy garlic and spicy. My recommendation is to get some of both.

Choice of Wings or Drumsticks

Two XL Orders of BonChon!

My Roomate Went Back for Takeout

I Think I Gained 5lbs Just Looking At the Pics

Click (here) to go to the Privus Lounge site.

Click (here) to go to the BonChon Chicken site.

PS. Thanks to Leon for sharing his chicken addiction with me and telling me about this place.

6 Response to "BonChon Chicken at Privus Lounge"

1. Kai Said,

Damm yo! I've actually driven to NYC just for Bonchon, I will need to compare this tonight.

Posted on 2/17/09, 10:54 AM

2. NASSIR Said,

I live in NJ and I drive all the way out to Queens for BonChon. Where is there one in Manhattan?

Posted on 5/25/09, 5:14 PM

Hi Nassir,

I believe the one in Manhattan is near Koreatown.

Posted on 5/26/09, 11:50 PM

4. ChrisP Said,

This took me forever to find again. I found it after reading this NY Times article http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/07/dining/07fried.html

I eventually found this variation on some random forum.

How to make Bon Chon/ KFC Korean Fried Chicken:

A Lot of Korean Chicken

15 pounds chicken (wings/thighs/drummettes/whatever)
    4 cups flour
    4 cups cornstarch
    2 quarts oil (corn/vegetable)
    1 1/2 c. shoyu
    1 c. sugar
    3 stalks green onions sliced thinly
    3 crushed garlic cloves
    2 hot peppers minced
    1 tablespoon sesame oil
    1/4 c. toasted sesame seeds

Heat oil in a frying pan or deep fryer to 350 F.

Warm shoyu in a saucepan, gently stirring in sugar until it's dissolved, add green onions, crushed garlic, minced peppers, sesame oil, and sesame steeds.

Dredge the chicken lightly in the flour and cornstarch (add a raw egg to the mixture for crispier skin), fry for 10 minutes, shake and let cool for two minutes, then fry again for another 10 minutes. Remove chicken from oil, shake again, and dip in mixing sauce, then let cool for another 2-5 minutes.

I didnt make 15 lbs of chicken. I am not that much of a pig.

Posted on 6/16/09, 8:20 PM

Thanks ChrisP,

I really appreciate you looking it up again for me. I'm still out of town for work, but as soon as I return, i'm going to fry up those 15lbs that the recipe calls for.

Cheers,

BB

Posted on 6/19/09, 1:08 PM

6. ChrisP Said,

15lbs of chicken!!!!
    I feel bad for you're toilet.

Posted on 6/21/09, 9:52 AM