Teen Pregnancy Problem in Gloucester

6/19/2008 10:12:00 AM
This was the topic of discussion this morning on Michael Grahams radio show. I had to pull my car out early to avoid the blocked streets (business meeting to go to this morning). I find this rather horrifying.

As summer vacation begins, 17 girls at Gloucester High School are expecting babies—more than four times the number of pregnancies the 1,200-student school had last year.

All it took was a few simple questions before nearly half the expecting students, none older than 16, confessed to making a pact to get pregnant and raise their babies together. Then the story got worse. "We found out one of the fathers is a 24-year-old homeless guy,"

Compounding the issue is this:

But by May, after nurse practitioner Kim Daly had administered some 150 pregnancy tests at Gloucester High's student clinic, she and the clinic's medical director, Dr. Brian Orr, a local pediatrician, began to advocate prescribing contraceptives regardless of parental consent, a practice at about 15 public high schools in Massachusetts.

I'm not going to go too much into my own opinions since I don't have kids. But doing something "regardless of parental consent" sounds wrong to me.

Click (here) to read the article.

Update 6/23/08
Click (here) for an article in today's Globe discussing the fact that there may not have been a pregnancy pact. It was the high school principal that made that claim and no one else has spoken out to verify if it is true.

17 Response to "Teen Pregnancy Problem in Gloucester"

1. Will Said,

What the f*ck?

I'm never having kids!! If kids in school are this retarded now..hell my kids won't stand a chance of a decent life.

Posted on 6/19/08, 11:56 AM

Right, because the parents are doing such a good job...

Posted on 6/19/08, 2:54 PM

3. Tom Said,

Jeez, there used to be field hockey and band and stuff like that. Now this. I blame Dan Quayle...

Posted on 6/19/08, 3:49 PM

4. Tape Said,

But doing something "regardless of parental consent" sounds wrong to me.

In theory, it sounds wrong to me as well, but this generation of parents and how they raise their children makes me gasp in abject horror. The vast majority of parents with kids born after 1990 deserve to have decisions involving their children made for them until the prove they are capable of doing it themselves.

These kids aren't going to use condoms anyway if they're conspiring TO become pregnant.

Posted on 6/20/08, 8:15 AM

sure, "regardless of parental consent" does sound bad, but when you look at the alternative it really get put in perspective.

Birth control should always be an option to those who want it, even if the only thing taught is abstinence. Even if these girls would have gotten pregnant anyway. Here I see is another reason for a more comprehensive health curriculum, one that gives all the facts, not just "don't do it"

Posted on 6/20/08, 9:06 AM

6. sundancekid82 Said,

I am not having kids. There's a new show (at least here in the states) called Baby Borrowers that is supposed to educate against teen pregnancies by showing how much work it is. I think this will be a very good thing.

Posted on 6/20/08, 8:56 PM

They're just sluts...what't the big deal? Didn't your high school have them? That's what abortion is for, to prevent these kids from having the burden of babies...Obama even said so!!

Posted on 6/21/08, 6:40 PM

Don't you get it??? These girls REFUSED birth control. They had access to it. Hell, they were in the high school health clinic all the time getting pregnancy tests to find out if Billy Bob hit their timing just right. NOTHING could have stopped their quest to get pregnant. These were not accidental pregnancies by naive kids. They are not retarded or braindead!! They knew what they were trying to do!!

Liberals are just upset because they have to take responsibility for glamorizing sex outside of marriage since the 1960's. It is a hard pill to swallow.

Posted on 6/22/08, 12:01 AM

Why are these girls being punished?

In a March fundraiser, Barack Obama excoriated abstinence-only education with harsh language. “Look, I got two daughters – nine years old and six years old,” he said. “I am going to teach them first about values and morals, but if they make a mistake, I don’t want them punished with a baby.”

They just made some mistakes!!! Call Gloucester Planned Parenthood and tell them to plan to work late this week.

Posted on 6/22/08, 1:33 AM

10. jessified Said,

Why the hell should teenagers need parental consent to get birth control. I'm pretty sure they aren't getting parental consent when they have sex, so they might as well be able to get birth control. And, um, it's their body. Seems obvious.

Posted on 6/22/08, 12:57 PM

11. Wydog Said,

Sundance--
    I did hear about this show. I hope it will help. When does it start?

Posted on 6/22/08, 4:46 PM

These Gloucester girls are swigging whiskey, doing meth, smoking pot, and sucking God only knows what else...just give these little harlots some birth control pills so they will stop screwing up their lives.

Posted on 6/22/08, 11:39 PM

13. Dan Dan Said,

"And, um, it's their body. Seems obvious."

I completely agree. As a medical researcher, I think all of those parental consent forms for clinical research are totally unnecessary. I means, why should the parents be made aware of what the kids are doing? If the 15 year old decides to enroll in a potentially dangerous experiment, it's their body.

While we're at it, the laws saying that minors can't get married unless they have parental consent? Obviously unnecessary; it's their bodies! And those 17 year olds that want to join the army? Let 'em! (their body) Hell, if parents don't want their 8 year old kid to go to Six Flags for the school trip, who are they to say no? Their just the parents.

I'd be much more comfortable if the kids got to make all the decisions. Parental permission is totally outdated. It seems obvious.

Posted on 6/23/08, 10:30 AM

14. Dan Dan Said,

And for those people trying to inject the tired political talking points into this issue, give me a break.

If anyone doesn't think that 17 fifteen year old girls getting pregnant so they can raise their kids together is a mistake, then please let me know who you're voting for, so I can steer clear.

Posted on 6/23/08, 10:34 AM

Just reminds me of the Liberal motto , "abortion at any age." Does this infer, "sex at any age." Someone is going to have to wise up and realize that children DON'T make rational decisions. That's why abstinence is better. Some girls, of course, are just going to do what they want anyway. And, they used to be called sluts.

Posted on 6/23/08, 12:44 PM

16. Abby Said,

Why is everyone putting 100% of the blame on the girls? It takes two to tango. In many ways, the boys who knocked them up were the bigger sluts, and are contributing more to the low quality of life that the babies can expect.

Posted on 6/24/08, 12:09 PM

17. Dan Dan Said,

Um, while I completely agree that it takes "two to tango", and both parties should be blamed for poor decisions, I don't think that completely applies in this case. If the girls were *trying* to get pregnant, and one went so far as to sleep with a 24 year old homeless guy to get the job done, I don't think equal blame lies with the boys. Because this wasn't an accident or a mistake on the girls end, they were specifically trying for this outcome and they succeeded. And because they were striving for this, they are principally to blame.

Posted on 6/25/08, 8:36 AM