After this month's issue of Esquire, I'm leaning towards never taking their suggestions anymore. Their June issue has a feature called 'Best Bars In America 2008' and in my humble opinion, the ones they chose for MA are crap. I'm sure that each of these bars will have their regulars - who will subsequently leave nasty comments for me here - but come on Best in America??

Also, for some odd reason, the bars on their website don't match the ones in print. Not sure how that happened - but someone over their needs to get it gear.

So without further ado the bars that Esquire chose to basically be the best in MA:

1. People's Republik - I used to live in Central Square across the street from this bar and I still wouldn't go there to grab a drink. Funny story, one of my friends once kicked a guy in the head at the People's Republik doing a cartwheel inside the bar.

2. Eastern Standard - In Kenmore Square. I had brunch there when it first opened a year or two ago. The food was terrible. Perhaps their drinks are good, but when your food is so bad that I can't bring myself to finish my meal (I try very hard not to waste food), you're on my sh*t list. If it were me, I'd wander next door and go to Foundation Lounge.

3. Beachcomber - In Wellfleet, MA. I haven't been to this bar before so I'll reserve judgement. I haven't made it to that area of Cape Cod yet. But hopefully one day I will - I'm a big fan of oysters.

Click (here) if you'd like to see the online version - which has a completely different list of bars.

9 Response to "Esquire's List of America's Best Bars 2008"

1. Cosmo Said,

Charlie's Kitchen leads the online version. I won't object to that.

Posted on 5/9/08, 1:16 PM

The food at Eastern Standard isn't anything to write home about, but the drinks are. It's pretty widely recognized as being the best place for cocktails and having the best mixologists in the city. I recommend you give it another shot.

Posted on 5/9/08, 1:27 PM

3. me llamo "Ryan" Said,

What a great excuse for a national pub crawl!

Posted on 5/9/08, 4:13 PM

dissing a place that is acknowledged in a story on the best bars in america b/c you ate there for brunch when they first opened over 2 years ago just seems lame. the volume that that bar turns out, day in/day out, red sox or not, is remarkable. the fact that the quality of the bar product (and, for that matter, the food and wine) is at the level it is--at that volume--is even more remarkable. you clearly have an axe to grind. either that, or little taste if you think the product--be it food or drink--at foundation lounge is better than at eastern standard. If you had said Great Bay, at least then your post would have come from a place of quality. Try before you talk next time.

Posted on 5/9/08, 10:29 PM

Dear Anonymous,
    It's hard for me to take someone seriously when they are insulting my opinion or taste in restaurants while hiding behind the guise of "Anonymous." I have no axe to grind, I told the entire story. I had a bad dining experience there once - one of the worst I've ever had in my 8 years in Boston. As a result I have not been back there ever since. There are enough restaurants in Boston that if you don't like one, you need not ever go back.

Posted on 5/10/08, 11:23 AM

the entire web is anonymous--if my name were there, it wouldn't make it any less so b/c you still wouldn't know me. I could care less about whether or not you like Eastern Standard or People's Republik or whoever it is that Esquire decided to highlight. The only point that i'm trying to make here is that for you (hiding behind the anonymity of the internet, by the way--i have no idea who/what the beantown bloggery is) to question an award for a bar program b/c you had a bad brunch experience seems unjustified and uneducated. If they were awarded best brunch--fine, i'll take your opinion into consideration. Until then, basing your opinion on your one experience (and sometimes, there are bad experiences even at the best restaurants) represents the reason why bloggers on the internet have te potential to be so dangerous.

Posted on 5/11/08, 9:15 AM

Hi Anonymous,
    Why is it dangerous for me as a blogger to have an opinion based on one experience? And why is an award given by a magazine more credible than my opinion? Because it's printed on paper? Maxim Magazine came under fire recently for printing a mediocre review for the new Black Crowes album without ever actually listening to the album. Just because something is printed on paper, doesn't mean that their findings and opinions are any more researched than mine.

Posted on 5/11/08, 11:18 AM

For one simple reason: The award was for best bar. Your experience was with brunch. So for you to surmise that, b/c your brunch experience was bad that their bar program is bad is illogical.

As the first anonymous (not me) poster wrote "It's pretty widely recognized as being the best place for cocktails and having the best mixologists in the city."

I'm not arguing as for or against the credibility of the magazine's award or, for that matter, your opinion. I'm arguing against your logic, period.

Posted on 5/11/08, 5:43 PM

Hi Anonymous,
    Thanks for your clarification. If you look back at my post I conceded that perhaps their drinks were good but that because I had such a bad dining experience there, that I would not be going back to try them. At the end of the day, Bloggery readers will make their own decisions on whether they like ES or not. I'm sure our dialogue here has piqued more than a few folks' curiosity about the place. Lastly, if it is as wonderful a bar as you and the other earlier anonymous poster said, it's definitely my loss for not going back. Thanks for your time.

Posted on 5/11/08, 7:49 PM