Gang-Related Shooting at Aria

2/25/2008 01:10:00 PM
Original credit goes to DanDan for emailing a Herald article about this to me last night. But I'm going to quote from this morning's Globe article instead because something caught my eye and basically pissed me off.

So as the story goes, someone snuck a 9mm handgun into Aria on Saturday night and sometime around 1:45am some fights broke out inside the club and said person started randomly shooting into the crowd.

Here's what caught my eye in the Globe, "The police had been tipped days earlier that gang members were planning to show up inside the red velvet draped club."

No one tipped me. Good thing I don't go clubbing anymore. Because apparently even though the cops know there may be gang related activity INSIDE a club, they don't do anything to prevent it. They just station people there to wait for bad stuff to happen so that they can react quicker. Isn't it better to be pro-active than reactive? In which case maybe some innocent bystanders don't get shot?

Did the owners of Aria know? If I was the owner, I'd close for the night due to 'renovations' or something to avoid something like this happening at my club. No one wants to go clubbing where you can potentially get shot. It's been years since I've been to Aria, and now I don't think I'll be going back.

Click (here) to read the Globe article.

8 Response to "Gang-Related Shooting at Aria"

1. Will Said,

I agree with you blogger, but lets face the facts that no business owner will take a big financial hit because something that "might" happen.

Plus, tips that gang bangers will be at a club are probably a dime a dozen for the cops and club owners.

Ohh how Aria's has changed. I remember when the scariest part of the club was people yaking after too many drinks.

So where can us old folks go for fun now?

Posted on 2/25/08, 2:11 PM

Gang members aren't criminals, in and of themselves. Gang members become criminals when they do something illegal (like start a fight or shoot someone).

Cops are reactionary. If they went around busting people just for having loose morals and easily lit fuses, before any action took place, then we're no better than the non-democracies we claim to be superior to.

Posted on 2/25/08, 2:28 PM

To Anonymous.
    I agree that cops can't go around busting people for no reason. But if someone went to the trouble of warning the police days in advance that gangs would be congregating at that particular venue. Don't you think it would be prudent to shut the venue down as a precaution or perhaps do a more thorough check of the people coming inside? When I went to the Linkin Park concert, I had to surrender my umbrella at the door and also get patted down.

Posted on 2/25/08, 2:52 PM

4. Dan Dan Said,

According to the article, they beefed up security by checking people's bags and patting them down at the door (although, a whole lotta good it did).

Also, I'm pretty sure they were hosting a "Girls Gone Wild" promotional event meaning that if they'd closed shop for the night, they'd probably be on the hook to GGW for some dough. Although, this is not a justification, just a reason why they might have been reticent to close their doors in response to the tip.

Posted on 2/25/08, 6:56 PM

5. Nathan Said,

Minor inaccuracy- the police had information leading them to believe that there would be a gang related incident in the Theater District, but not Aria specifically. I guess though they should have given the club owners in the area a heads-up.

Posted on 2/26/08, 1:24 AM

To the person who wrote that gang members aren't criminals. Take your head out of your ass. It is a easy coput and weesle way of life. If you are so confident and powerful of a person, you should have no reason in hiding behind of a weapon. If you weren't such a needle dick, you would be looking at the ass in the club instead of who stepped on your adidas kicks. Get a life.

Posted on 2/26/08, 8:12 AM

It has been 3 weeks since I've been to the Aria and usually the bouncers do a good job with searchs. If someone get's inside with a weapon they are either friend's with the bouncers or one of the bouncers. There are occasional fights but I have never felt unsafe at Aria. They have become more popular over the last few months, so much that you could hardly make your way around the club. I have seen fights take place right in front of the cop cars when the club lets out. Not as many that take place in Fanueil Hall though! I doubt they care what takes place regardless. Oh well, the run is over. They have made tons of money over the years. There is a Venu right around the corner.

Posted on 2/26/08, 2:35 PM

I was there that night just having a good time w/ my friends. We don't normally go to Aria but knew someone that worked there, so went. I am still in shock that it happened. Someone two feet away from us got shot. Very surreal... they did pat all of us down earlier, but you know someone there and you can just bypass security. I am also irritated about the police knowing and not reacting earlier. He has six outstanding warrants for God sakes!

Posted on 2/26/08, 10:23 PM