Alpha Omega Liquidation

2/06/2008 12:51:00 PM
Ok folks, this is what you've all been waiting for. There is a full page ad in the Metro today announcing that a "Court Authorized Bankruptcy Liquidation of Alpha Omega" starts tomorrow, Thursday 2/6.

I wonder if this court announcement is actually just an advertisement in disguise. Obviously now that a series of financial companies own Alpha Omega, I'm sure they want to get rid of everything quickly and get their money back.

I'm not in the market for a Rolex or diamonds or anything, but maybe I'll swing by just to see what kind of pricing they have. For those of you that are interested, maybe you can go today, put what you what on hold and then buy it tomorrow when the sale begins.

By court order, all Alpha Omega and Alpha Omega Express stores must liquidate their entire inventory immediately. Every diamond, every jewel, every timepieces is available at liquidation prices!

UPDATE 3/7/08:
The Alpha Omega kiosk in the Prudential Center and the 400 sqft Express Store in the Burlington mall will be closed as of March 10th.

9 Response to "Alpha Omega Liquidation"

1. Dan Dan Said,

If you get a chance to swing by, definitely let us know what the sales are like!

Posted on 2/6/08, 5:05 PM

The sale really began today (2/5) instead of the official announced date of 2 / 6. You were sent a presale letter if you are on their mailing list. The "discounts" are a joke and range from 10%-30% off of msrp with the vast majority being 20% off. Rolex was 10%-15% off.

These prices are what you would NORMALLY pay at any watch retailer and hardly a liquidation. If you went to Alpha Omega 6 months earlier these would be the EXACT same prices you would probably end up paying. Furthermore the selection was poor (most likely because all of the good watches are being hoarded away)

So far the so called "bankruptcy liquidation" is just a sales gimmick to try and lure unsuspecting people into the store. Hopefully we'll see some real liquidation prices in the future but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Posted on 2/6/08, 9:15 PM

This so called "liquidation" sale is an absolute joke. It is no wonder that the company is out of business. I went the first day of the sale and was told that Tag watches were 20% off retail. I purchased a Tag from these guys a few years ago and received 25% with no negotiation. The sales associate told me that the jewelry is being liquidated at a greater percent. But let's face it, there is no way to know what the real retail price is for jewelry, so you are just suppose to take their word.

Posted on 2/9/08, 5:42 PM

Hi Anonymous. I figured as much. It's always iffy when private equity companies buy a company and liquidate it's stock. In the end the companies are going to want to make a profit so I doubt they'd give us a good deal.

Posted on 2/9/08, 11:00 PM

Sometimes a "sale" isn't exactly a sale and sometimes "percentage discounts" aren't really discounts either. If they want to print 50% off and keep the prices high all they have to do is mark the sticker prices up and in reality they can say they are giving x percent discount.

Posted on 2/24/08, 12:50 PM

Prices are finally decent right now. Supposedly the last set of markdowns is in effect. Pricing is about on par with what you would find with a reputable grey market internet dealer. Selection is very limited though so if you are in the market for a watch you should probably go check it out.

There are some decent discounts to be had like 40% off of Blancpain, Vacheron Constantin, and Zenith. Omega, IWC, and Tag Heuer were a respectable 30% off.

Rolex is discounted 15% for two tone (steel and gold) and 20% for full gold. However I only saw datejusts left. Anyways you'd probably be crazy to spend 16k on an all gold rolex even with the discount in effect.

They even had a few Panerais for 25% off. Unfortunately they were solid gold and way too rich for my budget.

Note: I previously made the comment about the sale being a joke but now it seems like prices are actually in line with what a sale should be like.

Posted on 3/14/08, 9:43 AM

Rolex does not allow discounting of a watch - Omega only allows a max 20%. Anyone buying a Rolex or Omega from Alpha-Omega will be in for a surprise when then need to have it services. Both companies consider them "grey market" and will not honor any warranty, nor service them.

Posted on 3/17/08, 11:09 AM

Pricing has nothing to do with whether a watch is considered "grey market" or not. The only thing that determines whether a watch is grey market is whether the source selling it is directly authorized to do so. If an authorized dealer sold me a Rolex for $10 its warranty would still be honored. If Rolex caught wind of this practice though their AD status could be stripped for future sales.

I wonder if the Alpha Omega liquidators are considered authorized though. The original Alpha Omega was but the liquidators who have taken over the inventory might not be. Thats a good question I hadn't considered. Getting a warranty honored could be an issue if the source is not authorized.

As far as regular non-warranty service is concerned I wouldn't be worried at all. The only time a watch might be refused service is if it has its serial numbers etched off or is on a list of stolen watches.

Posted on 3/28/08, 4:25 PM

Luxury goods imported to US bear
    70% mark-up. Walk into an authorized dealer in Greece to Abu-Dabi- you'll be in for a ice surprise. We're willing to pay a lot for the coveted name, hence you don't see Mercedes-Benz as a street cab in New York- ot would cheapen the brand.

Posted on 4/2/08, 7:30 PM