Moving Company Suggestions

1/02/2008 03:18:00 PM
I rent. As a result, moving has been almost a yearly experience for me for the past four years until this year. This year I decided to stay in my studio for a second year. I'm already regretting the decision. It's a delicate balance between my hatred of moving and the sheer pain of living in a tiny box of a studio.

My last move was especially painful. Never really having had the money to pay for movers, I always did it myself via multiple carloads. The apartment building I live in now doesn't have a loading dock or anything and it's on a busy street so I couldn't double park and move. So after I finally succeeded in finishing my move, I vowed to either stay in my current apartment for many years or pay for movers the next time I move.

Well thanks to the fact that I haven't been able to cook a decent meal in over a year due to the tiny and remarkably useless kitchenette in my studio and the new college students that moved in next door who party until ungodly hours during the week - I will be moving this year and will definitely be requiring the help of some moving services.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to find a reliable Moving Company? As of now I'm scouring the net for review sites. Other than Home Bulletin, I really haven't been able to find much in terms of resources to help make a decision.

7 Response to "Moving Company Suggestions"

Whatever you do, don't use Boston Quality Movers! I have friends who had to take them to court because they help their possessions and told them it would be $2000 cash or they couldn't have their stuff!!

My last move went smoothly, almost too smoothly considering it was Sept 1. I used Xpress Movers - http://www.xpressmovers.com/

Whoever you use, make sure you get a certificate of insurance. If they can't provide you with that, they aren't legit! Also, make sure you fill out an inventory form when you get your quote. This will help if there is any mis-communication when it comes to the final bill.

Good luck.

Posted on 1/2/08, 4:13 PM

just using craigslist can be pretty legit. i got 2 guys & a truck for $60 an hour.

Posted on 1/3/08, 12:30 AM

3. Will Said,

Dionne Warwick said it best "that's what friends are for"

Posted on 1/3/08, 9:33 AM

4. Anne Said,

I highly recommend Nick's Moving Company (www.nicksmovingco.com). We've moved twice in the past 4 years and they moved us both times. Very reliable, very efficient. Good luck!

Posted on 1/3/08, 10:18 AM

I highly recommend Precision Moving in Somerville (www.precisionmoving.com). Have moved us 4 times without a hitch and are extremely professional and friendly.

Posted on 1/7/08, 4:55 PM

I do NOT recommend Mike's moving company. http://www.michaelsmovers.com/index.html DO NOT hire these people! They destroyed a pair my mahogany wood shelves by not wrapping them properly and scraping them across something. They are damaged beyond repair, and they've been very evasive about responding to our complaints.

They came highly recommended by a friend, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT HE WAS SMOKING!

Posted on 1/8/08, 1:28 AM

7. Boston Movers Customer Said,

Their price was fair and they took the time to explain every line item in the invoice. It made us secure knowing that your price was as quoted and there were no surprises. Secondly, our recent snowy weather posed some challenges for your move in and move out crews. Both crews took it all in stride and the packing, moving and unloading was professional and smooth. I would certainly use Allen and Coles Moving again in the future.

Posted on 12/18/08, 12:50 PM