Looks like we're in for some more movie filming coming up soon. Martin Scorsese will be filming a movie adaptation of Dennis Lehane's book "Shutter Island" in Boston starting in March. Coming up this Saturday, Jan 26th will be an open casting call.

The movie which is currently called "Ashecliffe" is set in a 1950's mental institution with flashbacks to a World War II concentration camp. The film will star: Leonardo DiCaprio, Michelle Williams, Patricia Clarkson, Ben Kingsley, and Mark Ruffalo.

Grant Wilfley Casting is opening a satellite office in Boston for the feature film ASHECLIFFE directed by Martin Scorsese and starring Leonardo DiCaprio. Filming begins in the Boston, Mass. area in March 2008. An open call will be held from 10am to 4pm on Saturday Jan. 26 at Boston University (George Sherman Union- Metcalf Hall) 775 Commonwealth Ave. Boston, MA 02215 to cast extras for the feature film.

Casting for people to play mental institution staff (doctors, nurses, orderlies, guards), mental patients (including interesting, quirky or unusual character faces), the malnourished and emaciated concentration camp prisoners (many of whom will have their heads shaved), and people to play WWII American and German soldiers (young athletic types, people with military or law enforcement experience and knowledge of firearms, police officers, fire fighters, ROTC, etc). Seeking men who are willing to have their hair cut short and women with natural-looking hair color, no highlights. Specifically seeking Caucasian and African American people. If you cannot attend the open call, you can mail in a recent picture and contact information to - Ashecliffe Production Office, Attn: Grant Wilfley Casting, 51 Sleeper Street, 5th Floor, Boston, MA 02210 or email boston@gwcnyc.com.

I wonder how Giselle feels about Leo spending some time in Boston.

UPDATE 1/30/08:
The casting call has come and gone. A few thousand people showed up. Here are a few more details on the filming: Filming is scheduled to begin in March and will last three months and will take place at Whittenton Mills in Taunton and the former Medfield State Hospital.

Update 3/12/08
According to the Globe, filming is currently taking place a the 42 acre Whittenton Mills complex along the Mill River in Taunton. And filming will also take place later at the former Medfield State Hospital.

Update 7/1/08
No, that's not a male nurse in a Shaw's parking lot, it's actor Leonardo DiCaprio on the set of Martin Scorsese's new movie "Ashecliffe." In the film, which was shooting in Hull over the weekend, DiCaprio plays a US Marshal investigating the disappearance of a murderess who has escaped from a hospital for the criminally insane (here).

11/7/08 - Photo of Ashecliffe extras (here)

19 Response to "Casting Call for Scorsese's Ashecliffe"

do the extra casting people get paid too?

Posted on 1/25/08, 10:19 AM

2. Katherine Said,

Extras do indeed get paid. I think you get paid more if you are a SAG member. The pay isn't the most fabulous, but it is more than descent and, to me, it seems that it's more about the experience of working of a film, particularly one like this, than the pay.

Posted on 1/27/08, 10:42 AM

Doubt it. But they'll probably feed you.

Posted on 1/27/08, 2:08 PM

We were told at the casting call that the non-union pay would be $100 for a 10-hour day, and after 10 hours you get overtime.

Posted on 1/28/08, 11:13 AM

5. Tauntonian Said,

I just got back from my German Soldier costume fitting...pretty painless...I still can't believe they called me!! I drove all the way up to B.U. that day and saw how many people HADN'T moved in the line, turned around and came home...on a whim, I emailed a couple pics and some contact info...I almost dropped the phone when I got the message Tues. night...best part is, Whittenton Mills is about 2 and a 1/2 minutes from my house...

This is gonna be quite an experience!

Posted on 2/21/08, 3:08 PM

Tauntonian,

CONGRATULATIONS! That's great news. You're well on your way to becoming a moviestar. Be sure to report back the sections that you appear in the final cut.

Posted on 2/21/08, 3:36 PM

7. Brett Said,

Thanks!

I'll be sure to do that...as long as I don't end up on the cutting room floor...

Posted on 2/21/08, 8:14 PM

8. Apeiron71 Said,

I can't believe I'm in. I was one of thousands and now I'm an orderly! :-) The ironic part is that I work about 5 minutes away from the Taunton filming sight...but I'm in the Medfield scenes. The fitting day was pretty cool. I felt like I was inside a DVD with behind the scenes footage. If only I could get them to let me take pictures.

Posted on 2/22/08, 11:22 AM

To Apeiron71,
    That is great! Congatulations! Los Angeles can eat its heart out. Boston is new new breeding ground for actors and actresses.

Posted on 2/22/08, 7:01 PM

10. Dre31 Said,

What is the best way to get into a movie/casting calls? Does this website post all movie/tv casting calls for boston and other cities?

Posted on 2/22/08, 7:48 PM

Hi Dre31,
    Unfortunately no, my site does not list all the casting calls. I do my best to list whatever I hear/read about in Boston, but my posts are by no means comprehensive. I think there are services out there with ties to Hollywood that you can submit headshots: such as bostoncasting.com

Posted on 2/23/08, 10:39 AM

I just returned from my costume fitting. I'm in the concentration camp. I don't have a uniform (no stripes!) just ragged clothing -a dress, sweater. jacket, boots. They
    didn't have any mirrors there so you can't see what you look like. They told me I looked appropriately pathetic!
    Patrice

Posted on 2/26/08, 5:04 PM

I just came home from my costume fitting. I'm in the concentration camp. I'm not wearing a uniform - just ragged clothes with holes - a dress, sweater, jacket, boots, headscarf (which I hope I get to wear so I don't have to get my hair cut!

Posted on 2/26/08, 5:16 PM

I stood in that line, too! But so far, no phone calls. Does anyone know, have all the extras been cast, or should I expect Martin to call me any day now? (I even offered to shave my head. Boo hoo.)

Posted on 2/26/08, 8:16 PM

I got my German Soldier haircut yesterday, per the intructions of the casting company...I'm all ready to go!

What's the usual $$$ for an extra anyway?

- Tauntonian

Posted on 3/2/08, 2:29 PM

16. Apeiron71 Said,

Well...it was too good to be true...I was released from the movie. It seems that I was just too big. I'm not sure if it was my overall size or simply the size of my feet. I suspect they could not get vintage size 13 shoes for the Orderlies but I'm not certain. Anyone else know about Orderlies getting cut because of shoe size?

Posted on 3/18/08, 5:21 PM

I wonder with all the mentally ill patients in Medfield State Hosp. Will they donate time and money to a well needed cause

Posted on 7/24/08, 12:21 PM

hey my name is nicole i just turned 18 live on cape cod m.a
    and i have a great passion for acting ,
    i would love to be an extra in just about anything .i would love to experenice it, nothing ever happens on cape cod,it would be a life changing moment for me.

i figured i would just ask or if you have any advice?

always nicole

Posted on 12/30/08, 3:26 PM

Hi Nicole,

I'm not affiliated with any of the folks that do casting. But i think you're best bet would be to checkout the websites of Boston Casting or CP Casting and submit your info to them. A quick google search should get you their websites. Otherwise shoot me an email.

Cheers,