Bye Bye Jasmine Sola

10/19/2007 03:25:00 PM
According to an article in the Globe today (here) Jasmine Sola might not be around for much longer. Not that I know anything about women's clothing, but I was always under the impression that Jasmine Sola was a really popular store amongst the teenage and college crowds.

New York and Company purchased Jasmine Sola in 2005 and only 2 short years later, it's looking at getting rid of it.

They may have more fashionable shoes and sweaters, but JasmineSola has dampened New York & Company's profits. The boutique lost 3 cents per share in the second quarter while New York & Company earned 6 cents a share overall. For the full year, JasmineSola is expected to lose 13 to 15 cents per share.

Options being explored are either to sell off the JasmineSola brand or to convert the stores into additional New York & Company stores - which I'm sure would be the more upsetting outcome to fans of the store.

So anyways, shop while you can. Jasmine Sola might not be around for much longer.

UPDATE 11/6/07: As of this past weekend, the Jasmine Sola in the Prudential Center has everything on sale for 10-30% off.

UPDATE 11/16/07: I just walked past the Jasmine Sola on Newbury Street this morning and everything is on sale now for 20%-40%

UPDATE 11/21/07: This just in, apparently there are 2 Jasmine Sola's on Newbury. Both of which are now 30%-50% off. One of them is also starting to sell store fixtures.

UPDATE 12/9/2007: Walked through Jasmine Sola on Newbury today. Did a little shopping with the girlfriend. For those that weren't aware, apparently they sell some men's clothing at Jasmine Sola also.

UPDATE 12/26/07: Details on an article in Boston Magazine's January Issue about the Jasmine Sola affair (here).

UPDATE 1/25/08: Jasmine Sola will be reborn as "Mix and Company" in March. Read about it (here).

8 Response to "Bye Bye Jasmine Sola"

1. mmcheng Said,

boston losing jasmine sola.. what a tragedy

Posted on 11/6/07, 8:09 PM

2. Kara Said,

I'm fairly upset about a loss of Jasmine Sola...most of my favorite outfits are from there. But the Harvard Square store and the store in the Burlington mall is also 40% off.

Posted on 11/19/07, 2:30 PM

Oh sad! A clothing chain selling poorly made clothes marked up 5,000 percent made my poorly paid people bites the dust. Boo-flippin' hoo. Didn't anyone notice the insane over-expansion in the last year or so??

Posted on 12/19/07, 12:40 AM

Ummm, I actually liked this store even if some of the clothes were a bit expensive. They had really good sales and unique clothing, NY & Co. can't compare, and they are not going to get the shoppers from JasmineSola to shop at NY & Co. Two totally different stores with two totally different takes on fashion and style. Maybe NY & Co. should have never even bought JasmineSola, clearly they didn't realize what they were getting themselves into, poor management pratices I guess. An since it's all just a money game the dedicated consumers always seem to lose.
    Going to miss JasmineSola.

Posted on 12/20/07, 7:55 PM

5. DJDiva Said,

I have been meaning to look up what was going on with JasmineSola for weeks and kept forgetting... and this comfirms what I feared. I didn't love everything they had, and some of the designers they sold Bloomingdale's actually has cheaper. But overall, I liked them, I could always find something a little different. I think NY&C tried to expand them too quickly, they were popping up all over the place. In fact at one point they opened 3 stores on the same street in Harvard Square. Why would they need 3 stores all right next to each other? Isn't one enough? Shortly after they closed one, then another, and soon the 3rd. It's too bad they are going away.

Posted on 12/21/07, 7:24 PM

Does anyone know what happens to people who have gift cards? I can't seem to find any information ! Help!

Posted on 8/8/08, 9:23 AM

Indeed, I have a $100 gift card that I have no idea what to do with. I doubt the new store Mix & Co would honor them....any details would be helpful!

Posted on 9/2/08, 12:13 AM

To bad the owner is such a peice of crap! it's to bad you people did not know what was going on behing closed doors. you would never shop there he's a sad man with alot of mental problems

Posted on 11/7/08, 12:57 PM