Traveling to NYC

8/06/2007 11:47:00 PM
I'm not the hugest fan of NYC, I find it crowded and intimidating. But I have to admit that it's slowly growing on me. I spent this past weekend there and had a great time. I ate some wonderful food and walked around a fairly substantial part of the city.

Today, I'd like to address getting to NYC from Boston. By now, most of you have probably heard of the 'chinatown bus'. When I first rode it 7 years ago, it was pretty shady. They picked up on one of the streets in Boston Chinatown and dropped you off on one of the streets in NYC Chinatown. Prices, if you can believe it, have actually come down from the original $25 from 7 yrs ago. Today, there are 2 main companies running these buses and the cost is a mere $15 one way. Now the buses leave from South Station in Boston, but still pick up/drop off around Canal Street in NYC.

The two main bus companies are Fung Wah and Lucky Star. Personally, I recommend Lucky Star. Fung Wah has had a series of accidents and other general shadiness which makes me steer away from them. If you're leery of the Chinatown buses, there's always Greyhound which I believe charges $25 one way.

Alternatively, there is the Amtrak train to NYC Penn Station. If you have a Student Advantage card you can get 15% off the fare. If you have a AAA card, you can get 10% off the fare.

Update:

If you need wifi while you ride, there are two available options: LimoLiner and Vamoose. Click (here) to see my post on Vamoose. It's the cheaper option of the two. Limoliner is $80 bucks one way. A little too expensive compared to everything else that's out there.

Update:

Vamoose got their permits revoked two weeks after they supposedly started doing business. So they do not currently serve the Boston-Cambridge market.

Update:

Read (here) about Bolt Bus (a division of Greyhound) that will start serving the Boston area in April 2008 with fares starting at $1.

Click (here) to read my review of Bolt Bus from May 2008.

Update:
Click (here) to read about MegaBus - yet another bus service offering fares starting at $1

Update 4/7/08:
Click (here) for an entry about how incumbent bus service Lucky Star is now offering $1 bus rides as well in order to compete.

7 Response to "Traveling to NYC"

1. Allison Said,

Type "NYBOSR" into Greyhound.com and your bus ride will cost you $15 each way.

This way, you don't need to watch out for rollovers or buses catching on fire.

Posted on 9/14/07, 3:38 PM

2. Ashley Said,

or try vamoose or limoliner - a little pricier but you get WIFI!

Posted on 11/1/07, 11:01 PM

3. Justin Said,

how long is the ride? 3 hours? is there a posted schedule for when the buses run?

Posted on 11/26/07, 1:10 AM

Hi Justin,
    The ride is about 4 hours. There are schedules posted on many of the different company websites. I have links to several of them in my posts.

Posted on 11/27/07, 6:58 PM

5. Allison Said,

The ride is 4.5 hours from South Station to Port Authority. If you're taking Greyhound/Peter Pan, make sure you are taking an express bus. Every once in awhile, a bus makes stops and takes 7 hours, and who wants that?

The worst time to ever choose to go to NYC would be Thanksgiving weekend. Every college kid in the world needs to travel around that time, and lines literally loop both bus stations multiple times.

Posted on 12/2/07, 7:39 PM

Try the Limo Liner http://www.limoliner.com/ I have travelled to NYC by car, train, etc. and the Limo Liner is AWESOME. You can sit back, watch a movie, have many snacks and let someone else do the driving!

Posted on 12/26/07, 4:28 PM

7. Laura Garner Said,

I took BoltBus yesterday for the first time and was very impressed! The buses were clean and quiet and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I didn't bring my laptop, but the girl sitting next to me used hers for the entirety of the trip without any problems. And when her battery was almost dead, she just plugged in her computer. I was surprised that we didn't stop in Connecticut, but I'd rather not stop and get there faster! Even though the Globe reported that there was an accident on one of their morning runs, we didn't have any problems. I would definitely ride it again AND recommend it to my friends.

Posted on 4/25/08, 6:30 PM