Getting a Gun License In Boston

7/12/2007 01:53:00 PM
My LTC (License to Carry) finally arrived. In celebration, I thought that I would detail out the steps that it takes for all my readers so that hopefully you will have an easier time getting one. In addition, these steps only apply to the city of Boston, most of the suburbs are less strict, so just keep that in mind and be sure to check in with your city's Police HQ to see what the exact protocol is

Types of Licenses
There are 3 types of Licenses that you can get:
FID Card - A Firearms Identification Card is good for shotguns and rifles only. So if you plan on hunting, you can just go for one of these cards.
LTC Class A - A Class A License to Carry allows you to purchase "high capacity" weapons. A high capacity weapon is defined as a handgun that holds more than 10 rounds or a shotgun that holds more than 5 founds. Also, if you get an unrestricted Class A LTC, you can carry a concealed handgun. Note: If you're in Boston, chances are you won't get approved for an unrestricted Class A.
LTC Class B - A Class B License to Carry does not allow you to purchase "high capacity" weapons. Also, Class B licenses do not allow the option of carrying a concealed handgun.

The application fee for any of these licenses is $100, so I'd suggest you always apply for the Class A.

Boston Requirements
Remember that this is only for Boston and its immediate suburbs. I've heard even Cambridge is alot less strict about the requirements. The City of Boston requires:

1. State Approved Hand Gun Safety Course (Most gun clubs offer a safety course)
2. Membership in a Gun Club
3. Passing a Marksmanship Test (I practiced in NH and at a range in Springfield, MA)
4. This is on top of all the background checks and fingerprinting that they will do when you apply. If you have a criminal record, check with a lawyer or even ask the folks at the Licensing department if you're able to apply. This website (here) is also a pretty good resource.

Handgun Safety Course
Like I said previously, most gun clubs offer a safety course. Sign up well in advance because these things fill up quickly. Cost is usually around $150 for the class. If you're only interested in hunting, you can take a hunting education course offered by the state of MA. The hunting class is free, schedule and details available (here). If you're able to, take the class held in Springfield at the Smith & Wesson factory. The teachers there are awesome.

One pitfall to avoid is that I read somewhere online that this hunting class qualified as a handgun safety course so you could apply for an LTC. But when I tried, I was rejected. The police officer said I had to take another handgun safety course. This cost me almost 2 months because all the classes around that time were already full up, so I had to register for one in the future.

Membership in a Gun Club
This makes sense I suppose. If you're legally trying to get a permit for a gun, then you have to have a place to legally shoot it. My only gripe is that I joined the gun club 3 months ago just so that I could apply for a license. That's 3 months of dues that I paid for a membership I can't use. I guess it would be different if I already had friends at the gun club and use their guns while at the club. Click (here) for a list of shooting ranges as compiled by the NRA.

Passing A Marksmanship Test
I should have taken a picture of the target so I could post it, but I just threw it away last week when I was cleaning my car. The target is oval shaped, fairly large. The shooting test is done at the Police shooting range on Moon Island.

You will be required to fire a .357 revolver with .38 special ammunition. The test consists of 2 parts. Part 1, you fire 12 rounds single-handed double-action from 7 yards. In Part 2, you fire 18 rounds from 15 yards and you choose single or double-action.

A score of 210 out of 300 qualifies as passing. It's really not hard at all. Just make sure you've shot a gun a few times before. And if you've only shot .22's, it would be a good idea to try a .357. There's significantly more kickback with the .357.

I tested a .357 up in NH where there are still a few ranges that you can rent guns. I went to the Manchester Firing Line (here), just note that it will cost you quite a bit to practice there. If you've got a friend that's already a gun owner, ask him to teach you and offer to pay for the ammo. That would be the most cost effective way to get some practice in.

The Waiting Game
After you've jumped through all of those hoops. You get to wait 6-8 weeks before the license arrives in the mail. My wait time was just about 6 weeks. If you're interested, here's what I went through and this is why I'm hoping I can save you some time.

January '07 - sign up for Hunter Education Course in March
March '07 - Take Hunter Education Course
April '07 - Join Gun Club and apply for Gun License.
April 'o7 - Get told that I need to take an additional safety course
April '07 - Sign up for Safety Course in May
May '07 - Take Handgun Safety Course
June '07 - Apply for LTC
July '07 - Receive LTC

UPDATE 10/1/09 - Gun Club Membership requirement removed (here).

79 Response to "Getting a Gun License In Boston"

1. David Said,

what the hell do you need to carry a concealed weapon for?

Posted on 7/13/07, 8:17 AM

Buried in my post, I mentioned that if you live in Boston you most likely will not get approved for an unrestricted Class A license. I received a restricted Class A that only allows me to have a handgun for sport or target shooting. So I cannot carry a concealed weapon.

Posted on 7/13/07, 8:44 AM

Congratulations! Sometimes our Constitutional rights do prevail.

Posted on 7/13/07, 8:59 AM

4. James Said,

Do you know if the handgun safety course needs to be in MA, or can you take a class in NH? (Same question for the gun club, I suppose.)

Posted on 7/23/07, 12:56 AM

5. 3.14159 Said,

And still, after passing all the background checks, spending hundreds of dollars (how much altogether?), taking the safety course, the Moon Island test, submitting fingerprints, photos, and paperwork, you're still not trusted by that one almighty unelected official at the BPD to actually exercise your Constitutional right to bear arms. How's that feel?

Posted on 7/23/07, 7:10 AM

6. Mr Weebles Said,

Congrats!!

It is really a shame that the powers-that-be don't trust you enough to issue you a Class A unrestricted license to carry. Even after you passed all the requirements and background checks, they still say no. Lord knows the gangbangers and criminals don't bother with the licensing procedure.

Anyway, when you're ready to leave that Socialist hellhole, move up here to NH. Your concealed carry permit costs just $10.

Lately, though, I've just been open carrying since it's shorts and t-shirt weather. Went grocery shopping yesterday with a Springfield XD-40 strapped to my hip and no one batted an eye. I love this state.

Posted on 7/23/07, 9:11 AM

To Commenter James:
    I believe the Safety Course and Gun Club need to be in MA. When I took the Safety course, they took down my information to submit to the MA State Police. Also, my certificate of completion says "Commonwealth of MA" on the top. For the Gun Club, technically you need a license for the state you're going to have the gun. So even with a MA LTC, i'd need to apply for a non-resident NH LTC in order to bring my gun there. If anyone else has additional insight, please chime in.

Posted on 7/23/07, 11:12 AM

To Commenter 3.14159
    Gun Club Membership - $250
    Safety Course - $150
    Practicing at the Range - $100
    LTC App Fee - $100

So total cost was around $600 plus all the gas and time I spent driving around.

Posted on 7/23/07, 11:16 AM

9. Michael Andrews Said,

Is it true that to get your LTC in the Boston area you have to pass something like an oral interview with a police station representative?

Posted on 7/23/07, 11:22 AM

To Michael Andrews:
    I did not have an interview. First step is to show the receptionist at the desk all your paperwork. She will confirm that you have everything you need, then she'll call the police officer. He will come out and look over your materials and then bring you in the back for fingerprinting and background checks. I have read on some websites that if you put "all lawful purposes" on your application as for why you want a LTC, then they will ask you questions about that. I put in "sport/target shooting" and there were no questions asked.

Posted on 7/23/07, 12:16 PM

11. Mr Weebles Said,

That's incorrect. You only need a non-resident NH LTC if you want to carry concealed in NH.

Interstate transport of firearms is covered by US Code Title 18, Part I, Chapter 44, § 926A:

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

When I lived on the North Shore I used to shoot at ranges and hunt in NH all the time. Since I drove an SUV without a trunk I used to lock my guns in cases and put my ammo in a locked box for the trip north.

All perfectly legal.

Posted on 7/23/07, 12:50 PM

To Mr. Weebles,
    Thanks very much for replying. Since I'm new to guns, I haven't yet learned all the rules and regulations. If any other readers out there have questions, post and maybe Mr Weebles can point us all in the right direction. Cheers!

Posted on 7/23/07, 1:06 PM

13. Mr Weebles Said,

BB,

You're very welcome. It's great to see folks getting into gun ownership and the shooting sports.

If you ever feel like taking a drive up to NH to do some shooting, I'm a member at Chester Rod & Gun and would be happy to host you for the day.

Posted on 7/23/07, 1:24 PM

14. Bruce Said,

BB,

First up, congrats on sticking to it and not getting discouraged with all the bullshit they throw at you down at BPD.

My LTC took 106 days from the date of application. And, that was after being lied to multiple times as to its status.

Sgt. Mosher, if you're reading this, kiss my ass, you statist fuckbag.

Anyway...

A few technical points regarding your post:

Long guns that cycle by pump or lever-action are not defined as high-cap long guns per MGL.

So, you can put the extension tube on your Mossberg 500 and still possess it on an FID card.

Not a lot of people know this.

Mandatory gun club membership, IMO, makes no sense, whatsoever. There are, in fact, some public ranges in MA where one can shoot without having a membership.

This requirement is but one more tool used by the totalitarian pricks who run that town to prevent the citizenry from arming themselves...legally.

Could you imagine if they made the residents of Boston go through 1/10th of this bullshit in order to vote.

Ted Kennedy would pop an artery arguing against such unconstitutional practices.

Nice how the Dems think that requiring a photo ID to vote is an unacceptable restriction on one's right to vote, but making law-abiding citizens shell out upwards of 600 dollars (and take time off from work to pass a range test) is simply a "common sense" restriction on the 2nd Amendment rights of the citizenry.

As to David's question:

what the hell do you need to carry a concealed weapon for?

Try asking Sandy Javelle.

Oh, wait, that's right. You can't. He's dead.

Try Gracie Watson. She's not dead. Becuase a passer-by with a concealed weapon stopped her ex-husband as he was in the process of dousing her with gasoline so that he could burn her alive. Of course, he had already stabbed her about ten times first.

Better a woman gets brutally tortured in a parking lot, than to have her life saved by an armed citizen, right, David?

Posted on 7/23/07, 8:57 PM

To Bruce,
    Thanks for the links and your thoughts. I agree with you completely. Making law abiding citizens jump through hoops like this does nothing to prevent crime. I'm no expert, but I would venture a guess that most of the guns involved in crimes are obtained illegally.

Posted on 7/24/07, 1:12 AM

16. Bruce Said,

True, you are no "expert".

But, that's a good thing.

The "experts" think New Hampshire is to blame for Massachusetts' inability/refusal to arrest, prosecute, and incarcerate violent criminals.

The "experts" think a one-gun-a-month law will dissuade the gang members and drug dealers from obtaining and using firearms in an illegal manner.

The "experts" think that affording the right to self defense to the rich, influential people, while denying the same to low-income residents in Boston's minority neighborhoods, is a shining example of "progressive" social policy.

Needless to say, the "experts" are a bunch of idiots, blindly climbing aboard the Leftist Express on the 8:15 to Police State Junction.

Posted on 7/24/07, 11:19 AM

17. rusty desarro Said,

Bruce this is kind political B.S. that everyone faces here in Ohio also. The way I look at it WE are thier boss, not the other way around. If they don't trust a law abiding citizen to exercise his 2nd Amendment right then I think it's time for a change around election time. The Democrap's AND Repugnican's both pretty much suck , but there are some (few) good people in both parties.Vote for the individual WHO CARES ABOUT THE FUCKIN" PARTY!!!!! David you need to check in, some village is missing thier idiot.

Posted on 8/2/07, 3:03 PM

To Rusty:
    Thanks for the comment. It's sad to know that those in Ohio are facing the same pain that we are in MA.

On that note, does anyone know what's going on with Deval Patrick's "1 Gun a Month" idea? It's just more lunacy in my opinion, but I haven't heard anything lately and wanted to make sure this never happens.

Posted on 8/2/07, 3:26 PM

19. Matt Said,

With my Class A LTC issued in Newbury, can I carry in downtown Boston?

Posted on 9/16/07, 7:57 PM

To Matt:
    I'm not sure, and for something as important as this, it would probably be best to contact the Boston Police Firearm License Dept and ask. Here is the number for BPD Headquarters. 617-343-4200.

Posted on 9/17/07, 10:53 AM

21. Atari Said,

Currently carrying concealed in several states such as North Carolina and Georgia. It's better to have it than get caught with out it such as the time some idiot left his "fighting" pit bull off the leash and it attacked me. The Glock came in very handy when the owner just stood there and did nothing.

Also when I took the various courses in Boston I noticed that, with the exception of the instructors, everyone was not qualified to carry concealed. Most had never held a gun before. My Special Operations training and years as a Blackhawk Crewchief made the tests a breeze for me.

I did hear that the ability to get unrestricted Class A depended heavily on your career. Example: Police, Security, Judge, retired Peace Officer or in my case individuals that carry large sums of cash for banking sector business or classified proprietary information on a daily basis. They also take into account your mode of transportation. Are you trying to carry on the T or in your POV?

After being asked by my father why I feel the need to carry, I asked him to turn on the TV and notice how many people were doing things like killing their kids, boyfriends or co-workers. It's not my job to understand the insane but I feel a responsibility to be prepared.

Posted on 9/26/07, 2:06 AM

22. Atari Said,

It's not all positive in the south though! Georgia has legislation that allows someone carrying concealed to shoot just for being "verbally" threatened. That's not progress.

I am reminded of the time that my wife put a knife to my testicles for coming in at 4AM. It put a major dent in my ability to sleep soundly but never did I think of picking up a gun.

Further, someone snatching your purse in busy downtown Boston that contains only your driver's license and nominal cash(which can be easily replaced) is no excuse to pop off rounds. "Serious bodily injury" is the criteria for me. Otherwise, I remain holstered.

Good luck to my fellow NIGHTSTALKERS of 160th Sp Ops serving in places that CNN doesn't cover!

Posted on 9/26/07, 2:32 AM

Is it constitutional for Boston to deny someone a concealed weapon permit? Can a refusal be challenged? Has anyone tried to? Are there any ways around it?

Posted on 9/29/07, 12:02 PM

Hi Anonymous:
    Rumor has it that you can sue the Boston Police Dept for an unrestricted Class A, but I personally don't have the cajones to do it. Anyone else out there try this tactic before?

Posted on 9/29/07, 12:12 PM

Thanks Bean, I'll consider it.

Posted on 9/30/07, 8:58 AM

Thanks Bean, I'll consider it.

Posted on 9/30/07, 8:58 AM

27. name Said,

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

Posted on 10/27/07, 3:17 PM

I may be moving to Mass and have been trying to get a handle on the LTC Class A and B. A few questions for you guys who might have this figured out better than I.

1) I understand that in order to purchase a "large capacity" handgun one needs a Class A, but what if one already owns a “large capacity” handgun when one moves to Massachusetts, brings it with them, and does not need to buy one but still wants their gun to be legal? Is a LTC Class B good enough then or must I get a Class A?

2) In regards to Class A, what are the specific uses one can request? I believe mentioned here was hunting and target practice. Is that the same request or does one specifically ask for each of those? If that is approved, can it be concealed in those uses or only carried openly

3) What about camping or hiking? I camp and hike all the time (without hunting). Any provision for that? If so, how would one request that, and if one gets it, would that be for open carry or concealed carry?

4) Massachusetts seems to have banned a number of weapons from being sold that are obtainable in almost every other state in the US. If one owns such a Mass banned firearm, can one still bring it to Mass? Does this attorney general list only have relevance in terms of purchasing or in ownership?

I’ve lived in NH, ME, and TX, and I haven’t had to deal with this issue before and am somewhat baffled. Any other clarifying info you can provide would be much appreciated.

Posted on 2/9/08, 12:54 AM

Hi Anonymous. Because I'm not an expert on gun law, I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. I think your best bet would be to call the guys at Four Seasons Firearms, they will probably be able to help you more than I could. I purchased my first firearm there and they were very helpful. There is also some information on their website regarding getting guns you own transferred in from out of state, etc - under the "Services We Offer" tab up top.

Good Luck, and if you don't mind reporting back what you find out, I'm sure it would be helpful to everyone.

Posted on 2/9/08, 12:14 PM

Thanks, Bean. I'll do as you suggested and I'm also going to track down a Massachusetts NRA representative, and a couple firearm safety instructors. It may be a few months but I'll report back.

I've been surprised at how few sources of solid information I've been able to find on this subject on the web.

Posted on 2/9/08, 12:52 PM

31. michael Said,

I am moving from newton to west roxbury. I have an LTC-A with a sporting restriction. Will the address change form most likely go through ok? Or will I have to re-apply?

Posted on 6/4/08, 11:27 AM

To Michael,
    From what I understand all you need to do is file the change of address with the state police. You shouldn't need to re-apply. I'm going to be going through the same thing when I move in 2 weeks. It might be a different story though when your license expires and you need to renew in your new city. But since you've just got a restricted class A (same as me) I don't think there would be any problems. It's the unrestricted Class A's that certain city's don't want to give out. Any firearm experts want to chime in with their experiences?

Posted on 6/4/08, 12:04 PM

So Class A is now license is avail now in boston?

Posted on 7/4/08, 12:48 AM

To Anonymous,
    A Class A License has always been available in Boston. It's just a question of whether or not you're able to get an unrestricted Class A or not. From everything I've heard, it's quite difficult to get an unrestricted one in Boston.

Posted on 7/7/08, 12:10 AM

35. michael Said,

My dad is a BPD Sgt. and he said they even give him crap when he tries to renew his A unresitricted.

Posted on 7/7/08, 8:47 AM

36. Jhonny Said,

This is good blogging, me and my friend was searching for information about MA pistol Lic.. for a security job. Thanks BB. for that NRA link found one shooting range closest to my house.

Posted on 7/17/08, 3:22 PM

37. chilidogtampa Said,

hi thanks for a good read, I am originally from MA and I must say draconian and unfair laws are a major reason I live in FL, the weather obviously is the next in line. I proudly hold a FL CCW, and when I sometimes dream of maybe moving "home" someday I dread thought of going through that gautlet you are faced with. I wanted to chime in and tell you about an experience of mine, believe it or not MA does have such a thing as a temporary non-resident LTC. both the class A and B, I did obtain one A and unrestricted and renewed it once, it is valid for 12 whole months and cost only $100. such a deal. cool thing is its handled by the state and so the local police cant stonewall you. sad thing is its probably easier to get than a resident one. thanks for fighting the good fight, lets get MA/FL reciprocity and make it easier for everyone!! Bill in Tampa.

Posted on 7/17/08, 5:10 PM

38. GUNNERDOGGY Said,

To anonymous above:

I am not a lawyer, but i moved into MA two years ago and asked all the same questions you are asking. Here are the answers i found:

1) You need a class A license to just POSSESS firearms or feeding devices classified as high capacity. The requirements and cost are the same for class A and class B, so why not just go for A?

2) You can request any uses you want, but generally if you are moving inside of rt. 95 it would be best to request "target and hunting". You could try "All lawful purposes", but if you get rejected you will need to start over again and pay the $100 license fee again.

3) Good luck with specifying "camping and hiking"... let us know if that works.

4) The AG's list is just for purchasing from licensed dealers. You may bring your high cap pistols with you when you move here, even if they are not on the AG's list. HOWEVER you must leave your "high capacity feeding devices" behind. The only High cap feeding devices allowed in MA are ones that were in MA legally before the MA Assault Weapons ban went into effect in 1994 i think. (so if you have a Springfield XD with 15 round clip, you can bring the XD, but not the clip. You will need to purchase a 10rd or less clip to be legal). ALSO, i have found no legal requirement to register the guns you move here with.

Be careful moving into Mass with guns. You have a short grace period to obtain a license (I forget how long), but most likely the time it takes you to get your license will be longer than the grace period.

Posted on 8/27/08, 12:12 PM

39. thetruth Said,

Just wanted to update this post, thanks Beantown for your help and all the comments on this blog, definitely made the process easier for me.

Special notes: You have 2 weeks upon submitting your application to take the shooting test at Moon Island. The range officers are surprisingly professional and the most helpful resource I found at the department.

The website says it takes approximately 40 days to issue your license once you have submitted your application. It took 109 days for me to receive mine. I would suggest to anyone that is submitting an application to start checking on the status after about 60 days. I waited for 90 days before I started inquiring as to the status.

Day 90 – Called BPD licensing. Was told to call back tomorrow.
    Day 91 – Called BPD licensing. Was told a Sgt. would call me back.
    Day 93 – Called BPD licensing (Never recv. a call back). Was told that licensing never recv. my shooting test scores. It would be taken care of and license would be mailed out next week.
    Day 100 – Called BPD licensing. Was told license was on the Sgt.’s Desk, would recv. call back.
    Day 103 – Called BPD licensing (Never recv. a call back) - Was told the license needed to be “activated”, would be “activated” tomorrow and mailed out next week. I told them not to mail it, that I would pick up at headquarters. Was told they would call me when it was activated.
    Day 104 – Went down to headquarters (Did not recv. a call) to find out the status. Was told that the license was mailed yesterday.
    Day (104-109) – Held breath wondering if the license was actually mailed.
    Day 109 – Recv. license in the mail. Celebrate at Four Seasons.

Posted on 2/11/09, 10:31 AM

To TheTruth,

Congrats on getting your license! Definitely celebrate at the Four Seasons. Let me know what you end up purchasing. I have a .22 Ruger and a .40 Smith & Wesson M&P. Love them both. But now I want a shotgun.

If you're interested in shotguns/rifles, check out Bass Pro Shops in Foxboro. They have handguns as well, but what I was impressed with was the extensive rifle/shotgun assortment.

Cheers!

BB

Posted on 2/13/09, 11:21 AM

41. Larry Said,

Just as an addendum to this article, which I really appreciate you posting - I spoke to the head licensing officer today (Oct. 1, 2009), and you no longer need to be a member of a gun club. He said that he inherited that requirement, and didn't necessarily agree with it, so it has been rescinded. Thought you all might like to know.

Posted on 10/2/09, 12:10 AM

No one respond to David. If you must, just say 'Zombies'. We don't have to justify ourselves. Fuck you. Let the adults talk.

Posted on 10/11/09, 6:43 PM

43. No LTC yet Said,

Larry, is this for Boston?

>>Larry Said,

Posted on 10/2/09 12:10 AM

Posted on 10/23/09, 5:59 PM

44. STB Boston Said,

Great info, thank you...I have in my possession a LTC which was issued to me on 5/1994 by the Boston Police and expired on 9/1998. I want to obtain a LTC (A). does any one know if i have to go through the gun safety course again??

Posted on 11/4/09, 7:31 PM

45. michael Said,

"does any one know if i have to go through the gun safety course again??"

Do you still have a certificate from the course you took? As long as you comply with all of the CURRENT regulations you will be fine. If the new regulations state that you need a course that is different from the one you had taken previously, then yes you need to take it to fulfill the new requirements.

Posted on 11/5/09, 8:28 AM

46. Peter Said,

Used your post to get much information for my own application process so I thought I would add an up to date application process for a Boston LTC as it is on going.

11/25/06 - Took Mass. Carry LTC safety class at the Smith and Wesson Academy in Springfield. (Cost - Approx. $100)
    Early 2007 Applied for and Obtained an FID (not from Boston)
    12/22/09 - Went to BPD HQ and got all the paper work needed. Was met was some attitude from the civilian employees there but they only had to outline the paper work that I would need.
    12/31/09 - Went to Boston City Hall to obtain a residency verification (cost - $5 Money Order)
    1/4/10 - Returned to BPD HQ with all my paper work, and the completed BPD LTC application. Spent about 15-30 minutes with the licensing officer filling out paper work, paying and taking my picture (I did not need to be fingerprinted due to having the FID previously) (Cost - $100)
    1/6/10 - Went to Moon Island, Took and passed shooting qualification (kept my target if you want to see what it looks like let me know)

Now I am just waiting...... Will update when LTC is received

Posted on 1/12/10, 7:29 PM

Peter - thanks for the post. I called the BPD yesterday and spoke to someone in licensing (very nice, professional btw). She told me the required paperwork was
    -ID(drivers license)
    - Birth certificate
    - 2 utility bills or proof of residency from city hall
    - $100 cash
    - fill out application form with officer
    - Handgun course certificate

She didn't mention gun club membership (which I have anyway).

I asked if letters of recommendation were required and she said no, not for shooting/target LTC.

I heard the gun club membership requirement had been dropped, but I was surprised at the references/recommendations.

I have references anyway, but I thought i'd check with someone who just went through it.

Posted on 2/3/10, 5:30 PM

48. Peter Said,

To answer your question regarding the BPD paper work, make sure to go into HQ and get the Boston application form. Though there is a state wide application Boston Police has their own and will only accept that....I guess they like being different
    I got the form and list of paper work needed from the licensing division one day and then filled out the application and got all needed documents and returned on a later day. I would recommend this, it was a very easy process.
    All the info they told you is exactly what I brought, I had to get the residency letter because all my utilities were electricity so I didn't have multiple bills. Also they did not tell me I needed a membership I believe they took away this policy later half of 2009. Also on BPD's application they do not require you to list any references, I was never asked for them and I never asked if they wanted any, I just sat there while the officer updated my information into the system. Good Luck

Speaking of which, I have an update to my timeline:
    As posted above---
    Early 2007 Applied for and Obtained an FID (not from Boston)
    2/5/10 - My Class A license came today!! Only four weeks after Moon Island. I was very excited opening my mail box and seeing the BPD letter head. I got issued a Class A Large Capacity License to Carry with the following restrictions : Sport and Target; No Conceal Carry

Unfortunatly unless you do cash deposits for your own work, Boston wont issue a non-restricted license, it sucks but it can always be challenged if you want to deal with lawyers and courts

I really don't understand how legally carry a firearm will lead to more violent crimes, the gang bangers don't bother to get a license, and the firearms are still allowed at your house where they would be more likely to be stolen than on your person walking down the street. PLUS all the reasons some named above in posts of how legally carrying a firearm by private citizens has and/or would have saved lives.

In 2008 More people were killed as a result of Drunk Driving than were murdered by firearms

I am happy for this one small victory but I still want to go further and exercise my right to bear arms...

If anyone knows of any cases where citizens challenged the BPD and fought for a non-restricted Class A please let me know

Thanks

Posted on 2/5/10, 8:20 PM

has anyone attemted in cambridge for an unrestricted class a ltc?? any advice?

Posted on 3/27/10, 10:26 AM

Great info. Want to keep this threat alive.

I just did all my LTC stuff Yesterday (4-12-10).
    Had no issues with paper work.

I would like some info / insight on the Moon island part of it. Just what did you have to do? I read further up in the thread 12 rounds at 7 yards. The paper work I got said a modified 25 yard target at the 7 yard line.
    So am I shooting single handed at a target 18 yards (54ft) away? Or single handed at a target 7 (21ft)yards away? I don't like shooting one handed so never really do it. and I don't like revolvers much. this combined with not knowing the size of the target is stressing my out a bit

Thanks

-Tim

Posted on 4/13/10, 2:10 PM

Hi Tim,

I wish i had taken a photo of the target back in the day, but all i remember is that it was a pretty large oval target.

First off, be sure to always handle the handgun safely, they will be watching that it is always pointed down range, and that you observ all basic handgun safety rules.

Part 1, you fire 12 rounds single-handed double-action from 7 yards (21 ft).

In Part 2, you fire 18 rounds from 15 yards (45 feet) and you choose single or double-action. I can't remember if you have to do this part single handed or not.

If you're unfamiliar with revolvers, some can be shot single action or double action. Single action means you cock it by pulling the hammer back before you pull the trigger. with double action, you pull the trigger (requires more force) so that it cocks and fires with one trigger pull.

Posted on 4/13/10, 5:52 PM

PS. I took the test a few yrs ago, so I don't know if it's changed since then. Someone who's taken it more recently may want to chime in.

Posted on 4/13/10, 5:54 PM

53. Peter Said,

Hey tim
    Don't stress moon island is not a problem at all. I did not have much revolver experience going in. Just once with a 22 and I had no problems with the revolver in terms of operation and control. Just as long as you know how to use a revolver. As for the qualification, it was real easy. Started at 7 yards, the range safety let us shoot two handed because he saw no reaason why anyone would shoot one handed. I forget exactly how many rounds at each distance but we reloaded and fired at our own pace. The target was a good size, standard pistol target. I still have mine if you want to see a picture. Range staff was friendly and not stressful. I had a friend who went and saw others fail (which is hard to do) and they were allowed to try again.

If you have shot before (and prob even if you have not) you will do fine. Let me know if you want to see my target. Google 25 yd pistol target that should work too.

Good luck

I just wish boston would allow concealed carry. I mean not like these kids shooting at the cops bother with a ltc. Haha

-Pete

Posted on 4/13/10, 5:57 PM

54. Peter Said,

This should be a picture of the moon island targedt

Posted on 4/13/10, 6:05 PM

The link to the moon island target doesn't work -- would someone mind posting another?

Thanks!

Posted on 8/6/10, 6:43 PM

Great info...wife and I will be applying for LTC this week. We took a few classes at Sig Sauer academy in NH. Highly recommended BTW...well I will keep u guys updated. Alex

Posted on 9/19/10, 5:44 PM

The pistol target looks like (or is) this.

An NRA B18 target

Posted on 9/29/10, 5:41 PM

58. Alex Said,

Well, paper work is in and I passed the range test last week with a scored of 275. My wife's paperwork is also done and she's doing the range test this coming week.

It is true, the lack of information(online, forms) to obtain a LTC is unbelievable...City of Boston does make getting a LTC difficult.

Posted on 10/2/10, 6:29 AM

59. Alex Said,

wow..just got my LTC in the mail. My last update here was on 10/2 and it showed up today 11/5. Very excited right now...I will be purchasing a Sig P229.

Posted on 11/5/10, 4:48 PM

Congrats Alex!

I'm currently looking into adding a shotgun to my collection so that I can shoot clays. But I guess it can wait until it warms up again.

Posted on 11/7/10, 11:14 PM

Hey guys. I just have a quick question. I am 18 and applied for an FID card in Boston about a month ago. I haven't recieved it yet, which is understandable, but I am just letting you know. I am curious as to when I turn 21. I want to apply for a class a unrestricted. I have a job for a car salesman where I take cash to the bank about twice a week. If I have a clean record and a legitimate reason, like I do, can they really deny the class a unrestricted? Thanks a lot for the help.

Thanks
    PD

Posted on 11/14/10, 10:35 AM

62. Alex Said,

Thanks! I actually just purchased a Sig P229 at Kittery Trading post and had it transferred to 4 Seasons Firearms in Woburn. Going to pick it up sometime this week. I have a Winchester Super X2 shotgun(Semi-auto), use it for duck hunting in Maine. Benelli shotguns get great reviews. I'm looking for a gun club around Boston..any recommendation?

Posted on 11/30/10, 7:14 PM

Hi Alex,

I was a member of the Massachusetts Rifle Association out in Woburn and really liked it there. I def recommend you check it out and see what you think. Really nice guys there.

Posted on 12/1/10, 1:14 AM

Hi Anonymous,

Sorry for the delay, i've been meaning to reply but kept on forgetting. Are you going to be applying in a suburb in MA or in Boston proper? It's easier in the suburbs to get an concealed carry license. Boston proper is very difficult.

Posted on 12/1/10, 1:17 AM

No problem. I am in Boston. I don't really understand how they can deny you if you have a reason and a clean record. It's like they are just deciding themselves with no basis for a decision. Basically what I am saying is how can they just no when you are pass all of the requirements.

Posted on 12/3/10, 8:42 AM

certainly like your website but you need to check the spelling on several of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very bothersome to tell the truth nevertheless I’ll certainly come back again.

Posted on 1/3/12, 7:07 PM

Great thread! I applied & received my Class A LTC in 2011. Saftey course in January (@Magnum Sorts, Danvers MA), applied in Beverly MA with all correct paperwork noting "for all lawful purposes" and recieived it back in about 40 days. Never required a range test as I told the instructor I had shot at indoor ranges in the past and scored 100% on the multiple choice test. Applied for NH & Maine out of state LTC and received both in 60 days. NH was faster than MA. Bought a S&W M$P 40 at Four Seasons, a S&W Bodyguard 380 and built an AR-15 so far and having fun with all of them. Don't carry much but when I feel the need, I have the right to do so. Keep up the good work!

Posted on 1/31/12, 3:57 PM

68. chris Said,

for right now i am want to get an FID permit for a rifle/shotgun, i have a criminal record,no felonies or violent crimes.(mostly grafitti stuff...stupid),but in your opinion will it stop me from being eligible to get one?

Posted on 2/11/12, 8:37 AM

hey guys is it still mandatory gun membership in a a club to get the LTC A?

Posted on 2/23/12, 9:17 PM

I see this thread goes back several years. Some helpful information here.

While, I'm not in Boston (I'm in an adjoining town), I've learned that it is just about impossible to get a class A LTC (All Lawful Purposes) ANYWHERE near the city.

Even with no criminal or mental health history, jumping through hoops to get references that checked out, going in to the police station for the interview, explaining why I wanted a firearm, having fingerprints and photo taken and paying the exorbitant $100 license/processing fee - I was still denied an ALP license, all because some Chief of Police schmuck thinks we're all invalids needing a babysitter. Welcome to Fascistchusetts. Your weapons, please!

I hear things are much less strict as you move out west in MA. Forget about places like Watertown, Belmont, Needham, Somerville. In all likelihood, and assuming you get approved for a restricted Class A LTC, you will have to wait years to get an ALP. It's pretty arbitrary, and I suppose the decision rides on whether Chief is pissed off about his donuts being too soggy or not.

I'll never understand anti-gun folks. Their arguments fail to recognize the key issues. They argue that guns are dangerous, as if they only serve offensive capabilities and not defensive. They lobby for these laws that prevent honest, peaceful people like you and me from protecting ourselves against losers who want to take advantage of you... violently.

And it's their rhetoric and poor thinking that steers the equally abominable laws in Eastern Mass.

Keep away from Boston and surrounding towns if you expect to have gun freedom!

I'm moving to NH.

Posted on 3/12/12, 6:23 PM

I wanted to share my experience.

I live in Charlestown and applied for the LTC class A on Feb 27. Got a date of March 21 for my moon island test. Note I have shot a gun once in my life, roughly 2 years ago and it was a not a revolver.

I arrived this morning a bit nervous, but the test was a breeze. The officers were friendly, gave me plenty of time to shoot. I scored a 283/300 with virtually no prior gun experience. Another person in my group missed the the black area at least 5 times, and he still passed. (the rings are 8,9 and the center)

Now just waiting for my license in the mail which will be another 5 weeks or so, which i assume will be class A restricted.

Best of luck,

Andrew

Posted on 3/21/12, 10:46 AM

Question for the readers out there....Has anyone gone for the Moon Island test since January 31,2012 received the LTC yet?

I turned in all paperwork,paid the $100,passed Moon Island on the aforementioned date.
    Called BPD and was told "It's been taking 10-12 weeks"( This is week 13!) Was told today "They are really backed up, if you don't see it by the end of April, call us back"

Call back for what? I wasn't given any helpful information either time!! Also, Who zre the "they " in "THEY are really backed up"?

Can I call someone else to find out anything?

Posted on 4/2/12, 3:04 PM

@ Anonymous from 4/2

It has currently been 5 weeks since I filled out the paperwork and 2 weeks since my shooting test at moon island.

I called last week to check in and got a stern "Its only been 4 weeks, you know it take 8-10!"

But with your comments it seems like I will be waiting even longer. "They" must have a hard time reading over basic paperwork and doing a background check that should take all of 3 days.

Posted on 4/3/12, 3:53 PM

My son just moved here from Pittsburgh Pa. I'm an avid shooter & hunter & in Pa. In order to obtain your LTC permit you simply go the County,s Sherrifs department and complete the application, then they run you thru the background check, pay a $25 fee and your done.

I find it incredulice that in a state where freedom began, it's about as close to communism as you can get.

Posted on 4/7/12, 11:45 AM

I posted on 4-02-12 about anyone getting their licence since passing Moon Island on January 31,2012.I received mine in the mail on April 19,2012.
    Brief time line:

July 2011- Take state approved pistol course

January 6,2012 - Go to BPD HQ, pay $100.00,photos,finger prints

January 31,2012- Take Moon Island range test and pass with a 250

April 19,2012- Receive LTC A (Sport/Target).

Total days wait after Moon Island-78

Posted on 4/23/12, 12:36 PM

Just received my license in Boston. Here was my timeline.

Feb 27th Filled out paperwork, finger printed ect
    March 21 Passed moon island test
    May 18th Recieved Class A restricted license in the mail

Posted on 5/19/12, 10:03 AM

I turned up at BPD HQ yesterday. You need to make an appointment!

Called the number I was given and the earliest was June 15th.

When I asked the lady why it didn't say that on the web, she told me it hadn't been updated yet. Lame excuse.

Regardless, another painful part of the Boston LTC application process.

Posted on 5/23/12, 8:47 PM

I found these comments very helpful in my process of obtaining a Class A LTC from the city of Boston. Here is how my process went:

Safety Class – Sept 25 (used a livingsocial coupon for it so it only cost me $50)

Sept 26:Called licensing for appointment, only appointment was Oct 23

Oct 23: Showed up at BPD HQ to do paperwork. $100 money order and fingerprinting. You do not need proof of residency (The election form) anymore if you have a MA license with your Boston Address

Oct 24: Range Test, I was lucky I was nice to the woman and she got me a next day test.

Dec 19: I received my license in the mail.

Posted on 2/10/13, 4:11 PM

79. Bryan M. Said,

January 11, 2013: Take 4 hour safety training class at Mass Firearms School (Holliston) - $100 charge.

March 12, 2013: Earliest available slot for fingerprinting and paperwork at BPD headquarters - $100 processing fee.

March 22, 2013: Range test at Moon Island. Was nervous as I had never previously fired a "real" gun (only 22's at the safety training course) - but the BPD instructors were awesome. Scored a 242 out of 300. Felt good because that was around the same score as some of the security guards there who were getting re-certified.

June 21, 2013: License received in the mail.

So you're looking at a 5 ot 6 month process. Not sure if it's gotten any quicker.

Posted on 6/28/13, 12:19 AM